Saturday 24 October 2015

AMAZING SOY-FREE MORINGA CHICKPEA TOFU

I follow a plant-based highly raw vegan diet, but I'm not a 100% raw, and will eat cooked foods, including grains, sporadically.
I simply love chickpeas, no matter how it's made, although most of the time I'll have it as a homemade hummus, or falafel. This time I wanted to try something different, a more creative recipe, as long as it was plant-based and vegan.

And browsing the net, I came across this genius vegan recipe of Chickpea Tofu at My New Roots. 
Yes, you read it right: soy-free homemade chickpea tofu. How cool is that?
I had some moringa at home, and wanted to innovate the recipe even further, so I thought "Why not add High Quality Moringa powder to my chickpea tofu and see how it goes?".
Bingo! It was exactly what I was looking for, even though I had no idea of it when I started my search! It turned out to be a silky, tasteful, and filling soy-free tofu, which I added to a big green salad, and also to a fresh Spring roll. Just like you would with tofu.

Apart from tempeh and miso on a few ocasions, I don't really eat soy-based foods, and this is really a genius recipe if, like me, you are also not too keen on soy.
As per the moringa, it's a superfood I've been adding more frequently to my diet, and its leaves are highly rich in protein, minerals, and vitamins A,B and C. I read that Moringa helps against anemia, joint pain, high blood pressure, and also increases sex drive, acting as an aphrodisiac.

Soy-free Chickpea Moringa Tofu:

Soy free vegan chickpea tofu
I slightly changed the original recipe, and reduced the quantities, as I was cooking only for myself.

Ingredients:
  • 100g chickpea flour (also known as garbanzo flour)
  • 1 Liter filtered water
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tbsp moringa powder
Directions:
In a large pot, combine the chickpea flour and water, and let it sit overnight, or about 12 hours.
After the resting period, carefully remove about 400ml of water from the mixture with a ladle, and discard.
In a medium pan, melt the oil, and carefully pour in the remaining liquid, without disturbing the bottom too much, leaving only the thick chickpea sludge. Add the spices, whisk well to combine, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to simmer.
Add the chickpea sludge, which will act as a thickener agent, and whisk continuously for 10 minutes, until thick.
Line a baking pan with a clean cotton tea towel, and pour the thickened chickpea mixture into it. Fold the edges of the cloth over the top and let it sit at room temperature for about 8 hours.
To remove the tofu from the pan, place a cutting board on top and flip it over, pulling the cloth away. You can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Soy free chickpea tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment